Monday, July 23, 2018

Let's see if I remember how this works...


11.12.12

I'm just starting my blog back up after six years of absence, four and a half of which I did not have a permanent teaching position. In January 2013, I moved from the South to the Northeast, got married, became a (step)parent, did a little freelancing, and even took a stab at having a studio (not structured enough for me). But I missed teaching, which was actually a bit of a surprise to me. I'd left a very stressful teaching position when I moved and had just about convinced myself that full-time teaching just wasn't for me.

During those four and a half years, I was very fortunate to have the opportunity to teach part time at an art college in my city, which allowed me to keep my feet in the water, as it were. I substituted, as well, for four school years. (I covered FOUR long-term sub maternity leave stints.) And I suppose that all of that temporary work, and the uncertainty of not really having a "home," left me feeling far less like the professional I wanted to be, but it also brought me to the realization that I truly missed having my own classroom.

Self-Portrait: Dances with Ice Cream (2012)
Anyway...the blog fell by the wayside, and now that I have a permanent position again, I realize that I truly enjoyed writing about my students and sharing their work. And honestly, I need to see proof of the progress my students and I are making. I teach at an International Baccalaureate school, and jumping back into full-time teaching, while also learning about IB methods and practices, has proven to be both exhilarating and extremely challenging. In some ways, I feel like a first year teacher all over again. My school is opening a new upper school this year, so I'll be teaching 6-9th for certain, and probably 5th, as well. There's still some question as to who will be teaching K-4 (or what part of those grades I'll be teaching), as there just isn't enough room in the schedule or the day (or my head) for me to teach all 10 grade levels. I'll let you know as soon as I do! :)

Returning to the classroom after a four and a half year absence has definitely been a humbling reminder that I have much to learn. But I'm committed to doing my best, and so, here I am, sharing the best part of my job: my kids. I hope their creativity is as inspiring to others as it is to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment